- 450g self-raising flour
- 56g butter, cut into cubes
- 28g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 250ml milk
- 1 egg yolk
- In a large bowl, rub together the self-raising flour and butter until you form fine crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, baking powder and salt, and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in the milk and gently mix together until just combined.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about a minute. Be careful not to over-knead the dough.
- Using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass, cut circles into the dough that are about 1-2 inches thick.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and coat the tops of the scones with the egg yolk.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve with clotted cream and jam